Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > “0ff Topic” discussion……but not quite!
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

“0ff Topic” discussion……but not quite! The SMHDV forum is, strictly speaking, a place to talk about all things to do with horse drawn vehicles, and primarily the making of scale models of these. Sometimes, quite unintentionally, a poster might veer of slightly from the main topic of a thread. If this then continues and several members join in the “off topic” discussion, the thread can be “hijacked!” Again, the “hijacking” of a thread is probably unintentionally, but if allowed to continue, the original subject of the thread could be lost, and might discourage other from continuing with the original debate……read more in the sticky! ~~ jraah ~~

Old 30th April 2017, 10:31 PM
Super Champion Poster

Question Getting rid of models.

What should one do with their models when they can no longer keep them? I am now 85 and in poor health. We cannot longer maintain our property or keep our house. We expect to be down sizing into a one bedroom apartment by the end of this year. I have no idea what to do with my models. There is no way I can keep them. I had a museum interested in them but that is no longer the case.

I am not sure it I will be able to continue doing models either unless I go to a very small scale but I'm not sure what scale that would be and still allow me the detail. I think 3/4" to the foot (1/16th scale) would still too large to keep. (1/2" to the foot (1/24th) scale would be maximum but could still take up too much shelf space. I am kind of settling on going to 1/4" to the foot (1/48th scale). In the past I and my friend we're able to produce very fine detailed kits in that scale.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

Jack of all trades, master of none
Fall down nine times, get up ten.
http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/185

Last edited by Bill Hudson; 1st May 2017 at 02:13 AM.
Old 1st May 2017, 05:19 PM
Prolific Poster

Bill --

What a tough decision you have to make.

I can think of a few suggestions:
  • Contact the Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

They accept work in a wide variety of subject matter. The contact there is Terry Miller, 760.727.9492.

(Disclosure note: This is where my 1880 Fire Pump is. The contact for me was through a friend and I did not contact Terry myself.)

• Contact the Tucson Rodeo Parade Museum.

http://www.tucsonrodeoparade.com/contact-us/

I would expect that they would be interested in wagon models, but I'm not sure about your other works. They have some models on display including one of the Fisher Body Coaches (like Jose Brito built). The museum is only open about 4 months a year, but I'm sure somebody is checking messages or returning phone calls.

FWIW, I will be back in Tucson sometime in September. If I can be of help then, please let me know.

There are probably other museums like this -- Perhaps in Pendleton?

• In our travels, we often stop at the little local museums and they usually of unique collections of local memorabilia, often in a converted old house. If you have something like that near you, you might have some success.

• You might try selling them on ebay, etsy or some site like that. You will not get anywhere near their street value, but they will find a new home.

Last, i personally would like to see your Cretor popcorn machine finshed. It would be fantastic to have it completed. Maybe one of the very skilled craftsman of this forum could pick it up. (This is not a hint that I want to do it. I do not have the necessary skills to do that work.)

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Merl
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:49 AM
Super Champion Poster

Bill, I'm sorry to hear of your failing health and the need for you to downsize. Yes it is a problem to find homes for your models. The hours of patience and skill need to be appreciated. Even now all my models are put away in boxes and should really be put on show for other people to see. I had thought that those I made for myself I could donate to a museum of transport somewhere, I will eventually have to face that prospect.
I hope that I still have some years left building models before that happens. I do hope that you find a solution.

Paul.
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:46 PM
Super Champion Poster

Thank you Paul and Merl, I probably will never completely give up on modeling, just in a different scale. I just will have to work with in the limitations of my Sherline lathe and mill. I have not given up on the popcorn wagon although it is not an out front priority. There isn't much more to build, just getting the rear frame, some window frames, the back door built and final painting and assembly. I think I will farm out painting.

Jack of all trades, master of none
Fall down nine times, get up ten.
http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/185

Last edited by Bill Hudson; 2nd May 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 5th May 2017, 04:30 PM
Champion Poster

Bill it is a problem we all face. Nobody wants them or if they do they pay a pittance. A model of a Conestoga waggon in 1/8th scale recently sold for £42.00 ( $55.00) at a horse drawn vehicle sale in the UK!! Then they subtracted about 40% in commission!
Museums say they do not have the room.
Unfortunately our hobby is one for the 'grey haired brigade.' Youngsters are not interested if it does not have a computer attached or involved.
I think my models will have to go to the local refuse site when I depart this mortal coil!
Old 12th May 2017, 11:15 PM
Super Champion Poster

What to do with our models is a quite a dilemma for us. Donating items to a museum can be a quite a task to my understanding. They have guidelines that they follow of what is and what isn't acceptable. A museum is where we all think they should go as did Ivan Collins and all that is left is his plans for the museum to make money on. I visited the Smithsonian years ago and they had an excellent display of various HDV's in scale. A couple years later I spoke to the curator about them for what ever reason it was and he said they were going into storage to make way for an automobile exhibit and the models were never coming back out of storage. Although finding a home in a museum for them is what we would like to see it may not be best. I had considered awhile back on renting a small building here in town and make it a model HDV museum. The town is a tourist town so I thought it might bring in curiosity traffic. That thought went by the wayside as quick as it came because I would of had to purchase quality built models that are harder to find for sale than a horse with six legs.

I do find it curious why steam engines sell for high dollar and there's much more interest in them than HDV's when there is just as much work and many require even more craftsmanship to build them. Most steam engines parts are castings and not made from scratch. I'm not saying they are not cool or require skill and craftsmanship as you know I have built a few. I suppose the bigger interest is because of the catering of a hobby to the millions of machinist's in the world.

Not as quite heartfelt as what to do with the models but also what to do with the books, plans and tools we have. Personally I would like see my stuff go to someone that would appreciate it, use it, and pass it on to the same. The only people I know that fit that description are a few on this forum and in the Guild. The suggestion of selling it on ebay was brought up. Ebay allows you to put a reserve on the item. Something that you put your heart and soul into only to end up on ebay surely would hurt a bit but it would give you some moving expense money. When I make something and it goes to someone else I don't enjoy seeing it go but it boils down to the enjoyment I got out of building it. Let us know whatever you do. Simmy mentioned that the models sell for next to nothing and would be throwing his in the trash. Simmy if your listening don't throw yours in the trash I will give you two times next to nothing for them! I'll even split the cost of shipping across the pond.