Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > Progression of a model
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Progression of a model This section was very popular in the previous forum and lots of very interesting posts soon built up in it. Please open this post and read more……~~ jraah ~~

Old 5th May 2016, 03:36 PM
Super Champion Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFW View Post
That's going to be a nice model Simmy given your talent as well. It's a shame that a lot of these vehicles are hidden away only to slowly rot isn't it?

Paul.
I completely agree with Paul. Looking forward to see the progress.

Jack of all trades, master of none
Fall down nine times, get up ten.
http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/185
Old 5th May 2016, 05:40 PM
Champion Poster

I agree Paul about vehicles being left to rot. Also I always thought museums were there to preserve items for the public and research but the attitude of some museums seems to be that it is there for the curator and keep the public out of the reserve collection at all cost. However, I must admit that the lady I have been dealing with at Wroughton has been very helpful.
Old 5th May 2016, 10:54 PM
Prolific Poster

Indeed Simmy, time is slipping through our fingers.
You must be a bit frustrated having only two hours to be allowed to see and measure the vehicle.
As I see it, using a measuring rod does not work for a meter (sorry) not for a yard. One can see it already in the picture of the so called police van. The eye of the camera gives a totally wrong image. It might work if one could stand far away from the wagon and zoom-in but I am afraid you will not find that space in a depot.
For me the way to do it was making forehand a general sketch of the vehicel for all sides. Taking the mainzises only and use the remainder of the hour in taking as much pictures as possible.
At home I should work out the sketches and pictures and indicate in them which sizes I would need to finish plans.
However making the primarily sketch is already the begin of a problem!
You state you found out the wagon is part of the overflow(?) collection of the Science Museum in London.
Simmy I did also a bit of research in the past years for this wagon.
According the VINTAGE CARRIAGE TRUST LIST, the wagon in your uploaded pictures is part of the NRM collection in York, it is owned by them and located there.
So I am now wondering, do you have a picture of the wagon at Wroughton or what are you expecting to find there?
With many descriptions of Ambulances, naming them Horse Ambulance a word is left out and it should say a Horse Drawn Ambulance.
By the way, the wagon in York is from a famous builder, Dennis of Guildford
which is the well known manufacturer now for Fire Trucks and Omnibuses.

frits.nl
Old 6th May 2016, 08:47 AM
Champion Poster

Fritz,

I could not agree with you more. The photo of my measuring pole is a cropped photo done in Photoshop. Unless you photograph from a distance parallax comes into effect to distort the scale.
With regard to the horse ambulance the one at Wroughton and the one at the National Railway museum in York are one and the same. The NRM is part of the British Science Museum group of museums and both employ Wroughton for their overflow items. Before I go to see vehicles I use Autocad to draw the main features that I can see from the photograph and use them to add measurements when there. Usually I will take around 200 photos for each project. Even moving slightly to one side to take a photo will reveal another feature hidden on the first photo. To speed things up I measure and call out the measurements for my scribe(wife) to annotate the drawings.

Last edited by Simmy; 6th May 2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 6th May 2016, 09:54 AM
Prolific Poster

thank you very much Simmy for your prompt reply. It gives me a good feeling you go to Wroughton without finding a disappointment.
Best thing you can do indeed is forming a team with your wife in measuring.
I think the job wiil go now very well.
regards, frits.nl
Old 6th April 2017, 05:26 PM
Champion Poster

At last after over 3 years wait in September 2016 I manage to get access to this vehicle. However I was only allowed 1 hour per week so I went on Friday for an hour then another hour on the following Tuesday. This really presented problems as my usual time needed to measure a vehicle is several hours and visits. To help overcome this I pre-prepared some drawings that I could add measurements to thus eliminating sketching.I took around 150 photos and what I could measure in the limited time. Over the last 3 months I have been working on the drawings. I have used known measurements of adjacent parts to work out the measurements of unmeasured items, then adjusted details to fit. I have produced 7 sheets of plans. The test will be when I start the build. Here is sheet 1 of the seven.

Old 20th April 2017, 03:20 PM
Champion Poster

I see you noted they were not professionally drawn plans. Fooled me! Your note how to check for correct scale when printed out is a good tip. It is obvious that you put a lot of time and thought into them.
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:34 PM
Prolific Poster

Simmy,
you did a great job in so little time - an other fine subject out the pipeline.
Frits.nl
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
Champion Poster

If anyone is interested here are the other drawings of the ambulance showing various elevations and views.

This last drawing shows the drag shoe and chain.

Last edited by Simmy; Yesterday at 03:58 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Super Champion Poster

Simmy, you have done a brilliant job on those plans. I would like to congratulate you!!!!

Paul.
ps. At the time of writing I am in the Ukraine. Model making on hold.