Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > Welcome to the Suggestion Box!
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Suggestion Box! This is your forum, and as such it is only right and proper that each of you has the opportunity to voice any suggestions you might have. So please….if you have any ideas that you would like to put forward about any aspect of the forum, this is the place! It might be that we have a vote on certain things, a poll can then be started and then the majority vote would be implemented! Do you feel we need a new forum category, and if so, what would you suggest? What changes (if any) would you like to see on the forum? ~~ jraah ~~

Old 20th January 2017, 11:40 AM
New Poster

Default from a newbie

I discovered this forum by accident. I have yet to make my first seious scratch model and have been using forum to get ideas and best practice, if such a thing exists. So thankyou to everyone who contributes. i think (know) that I have read each post at least once.

It is my intention, to get my eye in, to start with a model wheelbarrow as my apprenticeship piece. You might guess which other site I have been on. my main interest is farm carts and wagons. Part of the reson for this is that I can remember from my youth helping my dad turn many redundent farm vehicles into fire wood. I sit remember how much heat a greace soaked nave gave off when burnt and set the chimney on fire.

One of the things that I did find frustrating was that some of the links on old posts nolonger work. Not sure if anything can be done about this? but it does make some of the posts redundant.

As a newbie i have been thinking if anything else would make it better. Not sure that I can, what interested me was the posts, it is a bit sad that there are not more members, but I guess that it has a very limited audience.
Just keep up the good work.
Old 20th January 2017, 08:24 PM
Super Champion Poster

Welcome to the forum Keith,

I wish you success with your wheelbarrow (pictures please). from there I would suggest a horse drawn cart or gig which will give you wheel experience and basic body construction experience. From there you can work up to the more complicated vehicles.

Jack of all trades, master of none
Fall down nine times, get up ten.
http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/185
Old 21st January 2017, 11:28 AM
New Poster

Cheers Bill.
yes, I have bought one of John Thompson's books and I am planning on using his Monmouthshire wagon plans. My workshop is very cold at this time of year, so I am using this period of time for research rather than getting down to it. I do always like to do things in my head before doing them for real. Yesterday I did grind, and hone, some old (I think older than me and I am near official retirement age) awls to make small wood chisels. My short test did produce good results, I half cut a mortice. I would rather cut them in the same way that I cut large scale one, just cut with a chisel, rather than drill out and clean up.

That was the one thing that I have noticed, if I want to build steam, military or aircraft models there are numberous magazines covering the subject, but little for SMHDV. But i guess that this can be an advantage, it forces you to think things through for yourself rather than copying others.

Keith
Old 30th January 2017, 10:08 PM
Prolific Poster

Hallo Keith8,

I would suggest after your wheelbarrow try to make a hand push cart.
The jump from wheelbarrow to a large English farmwagon might be too big.
It will take too much time to finish such a wagon in the beginning and You might loose iterest.
The most rewarding is to look around and measure a vehicle your self.
How to do this you will find in the Thread: Show and Tell, how to measure a vehicle.
Enjoy, Frits.nl
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:39 PM
New Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks frits
I had considered your suggestion. The cart I have in mind i already have the plans for - making it easier. Might combine the 2 - selection of hand carts alongside wagons. Ideally I would like to make one from the area I grew up in. Don't think / haven't seen any plans for ones from this area. If I can't find any real ones to measure I may have to resort to old photographs and guesswork. I might be planning on being too ambitious, will see how it / I develop.