Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > Show and tell.
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Show and tell. This section has been included at the request of one of our members – Popsarsi, thanks pops! Display a picture or pictures of anything of interest and then tell us about it. Not how to make carrot cake or get stains out of your underwear, but things broadly related to our hobby! If you have one model or several models you have made then please post pictures of them in this section, along with information on the timbers you have used, how long it took to make the model, what scale is it made to, and the history and use of the vehicle – in fact anything of interest about the model! ~~ jraah ~~

Old 15th September 2007, 05:05 PM
Super Champion Poster

Good morning (after noon?) Y'all.

Some added notes. The wheels are dished. This is accomplished in the cutting of the spokes tenons and shoulders. I can't (now) find my notes from so long ago as to how much. The spokes are tennoned clear through the felloe. Otherwise the shoulder of the spoke would crush the felloe with the heavy log loads.

The wheel rim (felloes) is made of two wheels bolted together. Each felly is over lapped half way and the lap falls between the spokes. There are two spokes for each felloe. There are bolts through the wheel, one on each side of the spoke and on on each side of the lap. (funny my spell checker accepts felly (the older spelling) but not felloe).

The hub (nave?) is usually pretty straight forward however some times the wheelwright took liberties and decorated the outer facr of the hub with fancy turning. The most common was an ogee on top followed by a cove below.

Now I expect to see a couple of High wheel models appear on SMHDV one of these times. :D

I think that is about I have to say (may have already said too much) on this subject unless there are more questions.

Bill
Old 15th September 2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all that lot Bill; I have them all in a folder on my PC.
Now this might sound like a question from a fool, but we in the U.K. have a standard paper size called A4, whilst in the States I believe it is called Letter size. I know all dimensions are 1/48th scale, but in printing them out might this vary? Would it therefore be possible to give a few actual sizes, (either in 1/48th or better still full size) of perhaps the overall diameter of the wheel or the total length of the hound and tongue when assembled?

I have printed out the “field” sheet as it is, and have placed my veneer callipers across the 20” width of the nave; it measures up very near to 0.416” which is 1/48th of 20”. So it looks like all drawing could be scaled up to 1/12th or 1/8th without to much difficulty.

Old 15th September 2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

If you do still have that model on your shelf that greenie in I admired in the other forum, a few close-up photos from different angles would be very welcome. Did you say that you had made that in 1/12th scale?

Old 15th September 2007, 05:48 PM
Super Champion Poster

Jraah,

The field drawing is to no scale, it is free hand just for notes. Our letter size paper is 8 1/2 x 11 inches. The length of the tongue on my actual drawing is 8" long. On the print out it lost 1/32".
To tell you the truth Jraah, of all the dozen high wheels I have seen and measured, no two are the same.

As I understand it Redding Iron works, Redding, California, produced some on a regular basis but mostly they were built locally at a black smith shop or wheelwright. Even the wheel sizes were different.

Do you all; work in metrics? I guess I will have to get some metric rulers.:D

Bill
Old 15th September 2007, 06:00 PM
Super Champion Poster

Yes I still have that model (unfinished since 1972 :D . I will try to get some picts of it ASAP but I am just coming into the digital generation and have yet to master my new camera, just got a manual for it yesterday, so pictures may be slow in coming.

It is mid morning here and I would like to keep on writing but my wife is giving me dagger eyes. I had promised her we wold take a drive out in the country to pick up some fresh produce. I had better shave and shower and get going TTYL.

Bill

PS, I do have a small, 1/8 scale drawing of the nave but too faint to copy. Will ink it and copy it later.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraah
If you do still have that model on your shelf that greenie in I admired in the other forum, a few close-up photos from different angles would be very welcome. Did you say that you had made that in 1/12th scale?

Old 15th September 2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hudson
Do you all; work in metrics? I guess I will have to get some metric rulers.:D

Bill
No, I don't!
I can work in metric, but I am more used to working in fractions and their decimal equivalents. I can roughly space my finger tips to 8” wide. But if you were to ask me to space my finger tips 203.2 mm wide I would have to look up my conversion chart to know that was 8” All the dials on my milling machine and lathe etc, are in inches, as are my micrometers, verniers and rules.

Old 16th September 2007, 01:02 AM
Super Champion Poster

This is a 1/8th scale drawing of the high wheels hub. The length (which I didn't get on the drawing) of the hub is 20". It is on the field drawing but not to visible.

so as not to confuse any one the measurements are full size.

I have a dial caliper which reads both metric and inch decimals. I use mostly when measuring some wires for tiny metric threads.

I have posted a chart for finding sizes for scales. It works very well for me and is very fast.
Bill

Click to download file
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:12 PM
Super Champion Poster

Presently I am trying to put together some drawings of the high wheels for Frits. I was clearing out my files and found most of my field drawings of the wheels but am finding them hard decipher from so long ago and some details are missing. I'm making some drawings to hopefully clarify them. I am doing dinning table drafting but I think they will be readable. The real problem is that I measured two different vehicles to come up with one. The first vehicle I started measuring had no mechanism and ended up getting lost in a fire. I found a very similar vehicle at Collier Park in Central Oregon. Some of the measurements are slightly different. Most high wheels were built locally and were not always exactly the same. My models a combination of the two. I first built the model using measurements from the first vehicle. After it burned I quit building it. I later found the other vehicle. I kept the wheels and axle and reach from the first one and built the hounds and mechanism from the second one. The only company I could find that actually manufactured High Wheels was Redding Iron Works of Redding California. The whole vehicle was made from cast iron including the spokes, the spokes were staggered.

Jack of all trades, master of none
Fall down nine times, get up ten.
http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/185

Last edited by Bill Hudson; 3rd May 2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 13th May 2017, 09:04 AM
Super Champion Poster

Hello Bill.
What is "dinning table drafting " please? I am not familiar with that term?

thanks
Richard
Old 13th May 2017, 08:11 PM
Super Champion Poster

Richard,

Dining table drafting (my expression) is not using a drafting board, rather just doing the drawings on a table with triangles, T square and rules. One step above field drawings.

Jack of all trades, master of none
Fall down nine times, get up ten.
http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/185