Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > Miscellaneous vehicles (Reference Material)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous vehicles (Reference Material) Some members felt the need for a section where pictures and information about various full size horse drawn vehicles and related machinery could be posted. Well, here is that section! Ploughs, rakes and manure spreaders; Sleighs, buggies, ice wagons, cannons and medieval siege machines etc, can be included here. ~~jraah~~

Old 9th May 2017, 08:54 PM
Prolific Poster

Default Letter Post Transport

Last Fall Chuck asked me, How were Letters Transported with the Western Coaches in the Old Days?
Now I do know how they were packed in most of the European countries, in South-Africa, Australia and New Zealand but I have never seen a picture of a North American Coach loaded with mail.
The thing to do than is ask an expert, so I send an E--mail to the curator of the Wells-Fargo History Room in San Francisco.
Got right away a reply informing me it must have been done with canvas bags as, he quoted from Mark's Twain book Roughing It, Twain was riding one day on an Coach surrounded by cloth mail bags.
Just by chance a couple of weeks ago I came accross a picture on the Internet of a Concord Coach loaded with mail bags in the hind.
I now wonder, do any of you readers out there have by chance any other picture(s) showing for mail bags stowed on Western Coaches? - if so, please share them with us.

The enclosed pictures with the good help of Chuck, give one an impression which ordeals these bags and baskets had to go through in order to arrive on their final destination.
Perhaps an idea to make up a diorama with a Coach tumbled on its side?
At least that will give a good look how the running gear on the model has been built up

frits.nl
Old 10th May 2017, 11:20 AM
Super Champion Poster

Old 10th May 2017, 06:15 PM
Super Champion Poster

Old 10th May 2017, 06:26 PM
Super Champion Poster

I was curious what the bag itself looked like and Frits sent me a picture of one. If anyone else is curious what it looks like I will post it with Frits's permission.