Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > Progression of a model
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Progression of a model This section was very popular in the previous forum and lots of very interesting posts soon built up in it. Please open this post and read more……~~ jraah ~~

Old 23rd September 2007, 07:24 AM
Super Champion Poster

Default Oxfordshire Waggon

Again! Sorry to all those folks who have had enough of it, but since it was lost in the ether somewhere I'll try to reproduce the story. Some of the pictures seem to have gone from my computer as well, but only one or two.
The waggon was made using John Thompson's plans and is the older version of the waggon, 1836 if I remember correctly, with wooden axles.

This is where I started from, making sure that the drawing was symetrical.

These two photos are from Webshots because they don't appear on my normal source Photobucket. The rest will be clickable to resize.

The timber is beech and came from a quite good quality bed that some kind chap donated. The base here is tenon jointed (through tenons), and in the background you can see some of the axle beds and bolsters (more of them later).

:D :D :D

Paul
Old 23rd September 2007, 07:32 AM
Super Champion Poster

Sorry two more from Webshots.
These show the spindles mounted into the base raves, all had an angle of 15º leading out but varied from the back to the front.

I've lost the photo of the jig that I made, so I'll just go and draw it.

Paul
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:13 AM
Super Champion Poster

Not only have I lost the photo of the jig, but I've cannabalised it for making something else (well you just gotta haven't you?). So, just to make all you engineers tremble, I drew it!

I made it from some scrap wood, but it works. The whole assembly sits on the bed of the drill, which of course can be tilted, and then you adjust the other angle accordingly. In this case I set the drill table to 15º and adjusted the other (ranging from 1º through to 15º).

Paul.

......Is this what you want Paul? ~~ jraah ~~

Old 23rd September 2007, 09:14 AM
Super Champion Poster

Ahhh! there it is.
Do you know how long it took me to draw that John?

TA.

Paul.
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:26 AM
Super Champion Poster

These are of the waggon with the top raves attached, the holes to take the spindles were also angled to correspond to the base.

You can just see the brackets, made of brass, in place.

Next were the horizontal spindles, now they were fiddly to get into place!
And remember all this was done without glue.

...... This was a cardboard template that I used to check the angles.

Paul.
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:40 AM
Super Champion Poster

This is the completed forecarriage, the inserts where the carriage contacts the axle bed, are made of brass, they were later blackened and varnished and lightly smeared with a grease.

Two more of the other photos (I keep finding them!)

The tapered axles were filed into shape by hand.

Paul

I'm doing this in short sessions 'cos I've had the experience of entering photos and script and something happens to the various machinations of the web and got lost.
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:48 AM
Super Champion Poster

The carriage bearer 'rings' were made from steel and the ends bent over and twisted to form the bracket fixings.

When I came to fit them I discovered that the 'bracket parts' were 1mm to long, so I cut them with a junior hacksaw, whose kerf was just the right size, and silver soldered them back together. Can you see the join?.

Paul.
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:11 AM
Super Champion Poster

This is the kingpin which I made by brazing (silver soldering) a larger brass section onto the end and filing it to shape.

Here are the rear axle bolts, the square heads were brazed on and shaped. The nuts were made from brass bar and threaded.

Whilst on the subject of nuts and bolts, here's how I make them. When you buy BA bolts, they come with a cheesehead (mine do anyway), so I just silver solder the head and then put them in one of my dremmel type drills and using another drill grind them to a round head.

The nuts I made from brass bar, drilling (in short sections, otherwise the drill wanders) and tapping and then cutting them off with a junior hacksaw. These showing are 10BA nuts and bolts.

Paul.
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:22 AM
Super Champion Poster

The inside support braces on the body I made using brass tubing and inserted and brazed threaded rods. The other ends of the supports had to be folded over and drilled to secure into the top rave.

This second pic shows how I stored the different length supports etc. to match the corresponding holes in the cart body. The top one shows the spindles, the second the supports. The card is corrugated cardboard, just the right size for the job!

Old 23rd September 2007, 10:39 AM
Super Champion Poster

AAARRGHH! It did it again!! Just finished another posting and PHUTT! it disconnected.

I'll keep trying.

Paul.