Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > Progression of a model
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Progression of a model This section was very popular in the previous forum and lots of very interesting posts soon built up in it. Please open this post and read more……~~ jraah ~~

Old 26th September 2007, 11:24 AM
Champion Poster

Default Shand Mason steam fire engine.

Shand Mason steam fire engine.

This here 'thingy', has kept me going for quite a while now, still got quite a few months left in it yet.

Now I know how to do the photos, thought I would give it a whirl. :D

This is a few photos of mainly the steam driven water pump, lots of fiddly work and stuff in just this little bit and it's still not finished. Still got to fit the crankshaft and rods into this tiny space.

regards greenie

Old 26th September 2007, 11:29 AM
Prolific Poster

Send a message via MSN to grumpy_grandad Send a message via Yahoo to grumpy_grandad

Looking good Graham, alot of work there, I wish we could see it in person, might pick up some tips from you, do you have chance to display them when they are done at shows, it's a pity if you don't

Have a nice day.
Grump
Old 26th September 2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

It would most certainly, without any doubt, get the "best of show" at any exhibition here in the UK! :D

But only take it down to the Wagga Wagga Model Show if they have changed the loony judge's there mate!
Or say you are only 15 years old eh? :wink:

Old 26th September 2007, 11:36 AM
New Poster

FORMIDABLE !!! BRAVO !!! can't find an English term.

Anny
Old 26th September 2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

greenie,
We were talking about soldering in an earlier post!
I notice you have made a neat job of soldering the two square pans each side of the footplate....are these soft soldered or silver soldered?

Old 26th September 2007, 11:47 AM
Prolific Poster

And I too agree with the fabulous looking fire engine. You're metal working skills amaze me. Why don't you come to the US and do a workshop for me?
Old 26th September 2007, 11:54 AM
Super Champion Poster

Words fail me Greenie, fabulous work, what it is to have patience and skill eh?

Paul.
Old 26th September 2007, 12:03 PM
Champion Poster

Hey Ron, if you want me over there in the states, no worries, just send me a fully paid return air ticket and I'll be there in a flash.

This one photo shows the TWO types of soldering that can be done.

The two pans, as John has called them are actually, on the left, is the tool box and on the right, is the auxiliary water feed tank.
Both of these have been put together by using soft lead type solder, I cut the piece out to the correct shape, carefully folded it to the finish shape and then touched it up with soft lead type solder.

If you look real close at the two threaded spigots that are sticking out of the discharge plate, that's in between the two pans and just a tad higher. These have been silver soldered to the discharge plate using easy flow silver solder.
This stuff is not a true silver colour at all, it's had a touch of copper added to it to make it flow at a lower temperature( easy flow) and when you use it and then polish it, it just looks like brass. Have a look at the next photo and you can see the two discharge pipes sticking out of the discharge plate and it's all been polished, no sign of any solder at all. The toolbox can be seen where it's been folded over, to be able to soft lead solder that lot together, you can see the lead solder a little bit.

With soldering anything, just think of what the part is and if you are going to paint it or not.
If you are going to paint it and the part is a non stress item, I will use lead solder.
If the part is going to be seen, as in polished, I will use silver solder(easy Flow).
If the part is going to be put under stress in any way shape or form, I'll now use silver solder to join 'em.

regards greenie
Old 26th September 2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Outstanding workmanship there greenie, that is going to be a winner!
Could you post a picture of what it is going to look like when finished please?

Some background information would be good, and some photos of the wooden carriage itself would be interesting. :D

Old 26th September 2007, 03:56 PM
Champion Poster

The model is of a Shand Mason, Horse Drawn, Steam Driven Fire Engine.

The drawings were done by Edgar T Westbury, in 1968 and have been aquired from the Guild of Model Wheelwrights collection of drawings.
The original drawing was done to 1:6th scale, but, I am doing this model in 1:12th scale, to suit all the other horse drawn models that are in the cupboard.

This 1:6th drawing would enable anybody to build this model as a full working model with steam engine, but at 1:12th scale, it's a bit risky trying to fire up something of this size, so this will be a static model only.

This is an original Shand Mason that has been fully restored and is a very fine example of a working steam driven water pumper/engine.

Here is a part of one of the drawings, there are six sheets of drawings alltogether.

This is ALL the timber work completed on the brass chassis rails, all the metal work is being done in brass and it will either be painted or polished, depends on what is required. The only bits that will be steel, will be the steel tyres fitted to the wheels, or the axles which are made from key steel. Any square headed bolts or nuts are hand made, the only store bought bolts and nuts are the HEX ones. There is a few bits of aluminium in there as well and some acrylic too, magic stuff that acrylic, works a treat on the lathe or mill.

This is the boiler as it is drawn on the drawings and fitted into the chassis rails

Still got quite a few months to go before this little lot will be finished. :D