Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > Progression of a model
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Progression of a model This section was very popular in the previous forum and lots of very interesting posts soon built up in it. Please open this post and read more……~~ jraah ~~

Old 29th January 2009, 04:55 AM
Champion Poster

Default Telephone Company Construction Crew Wagon

Some pictures of my second attempt. This is an outside plant construction crew from around 1900-1910. The plans for the wagon were drawn from the picture and dimensioned at 1/8th scale. A lot of the details have been referenced from hitch wagons and other commercial wagons (Lytle, Studebaker, John Deere), from web sites (most notably here) and from material from the Carriage Museum.

I'm working on the fifth wheel at this time and will post more photos soon.

Old 29th January 2009, 05:12 AM
Champion Poster

Now that's the way to do it, well done.

regards greenie
Old 29th January 2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

What a great model to make! I look forward to your progression with this P.K!
The addition of all the rolls of cable and wire, and installation equipment would make it a most interesting talking point.

What research have you done on this? – I would love to know your findings!
Thanks for the info on the five climbing belts you will have to make, with the wrenches, screw drivers etc.

Old 29th January 2009, 01:38 PM
Champion Poster

Smile repair wagon

Pk

Good looking work, looking forward to your photos and the fifth wheel.

Papajo
Old 29th January 2009, 04:33 PM
Super Champion Poster

Looks like you are off to a good start. Keep it coming.

Jack of all trades, master of none
Fall down nine times, get up ten.
http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/185
Old 13th February 2009, 11:25 PM
Champion Poster

Default Update on build

Here are a few pictures of the current state of the Telco wagon. Nothing special with respect to the build process, just learning a whole lot of new skills with respect to working with leather and soldering. I have to thank Richard for all the questions he had about soldering springs and all those who took time to respond. Having never really soldered anything in my life, I spent a weekend soldering up all manner of "bits and bobs" based on that thread and came away with what I thought were a decent set of springs, one of which is pictured below.

The Bell System logo depicted is the one in use from 1878 to 1969. The decal was made on standard white backed decal sheet on an inkjet printer. The decal was made with a light grey background to offset any bleed from the green paint. The wagon is painted John Deere green. The pinstriping is RC decal strip. It's been on for about two weeks and haven't seen any issues with it.

The tailgate works. The chain rings were soldered onto brass strips which were then mounted to the tailgate with Atlas track nails to simulate bolts/rivets. The hinges were based on jraah's description in the tips section. I soldered a section of nail to a small brass plate and then soldered a small section of 1/8th in brass tube to the plate. The hinge was mounted to the wagon body via the nail.

The "seat cushion" is a wood frame stuffed with cotton and covered with a light duck cloth. I'm not sure I like it; however, it adds some color to the wagon. Once the soft sides are on and the miscellaneous ropes, bags, cable reels and other items are mounted in and on the wagon, there may too much tan and khaki.

The next steps are to fix the damage to the upper rear frame (ply split while drilling the hole to mount the softside tie straps last night), install the body frame supports, add some trim to the foot board, install the soft sides and straps, and the tail gate chains. I'll seal the wagon in a few coats of lacquer, then off to the gears.
Old 13th February 2009, 11:57 PM
Champion Poster

Now that is coming along very nicely, if ALL the springs are just like that one, then ALL that earlier posting has been worthwhile.

Please keep us informed on your progress, this is turning out to be a very good build.

regards greenie
Old 14th February 2009, 12:29 AM
Champion Poster

Smile telephone crew wagon

Pk

Very good work on your wagon an all the rest of the parts, good looking decal,and springs also. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Papajo
Old 14th February 2009, 03:49 AM
Administrator

That’s looking great PK! The slight damage at the back can be made good with a bit of wood filler – allowed to dry, rubbed down and a dab of paint; it won’t ever be noticed!

I do like the two water bags shown in your first post, very neatly made!
How have you applied the printing to the bags at 1/8th scale, the text and logos are very clear and crisp, with no smudges......please give details.

There is going to be just as much work in making all the ropes, bags, cable reels and other items, as there is in making wagon – keep this interesting thread going!

Old 14th February 2009, 04:23 AM
Champion Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraah View Post
How have you applied the printing to the bags at 1/8th scale, the text and logos are very clear and crisp, with no smudges......please give details.

Jraah - the same way you did the stencils for the wool wagon - with iron on transfers. The design is a composite of a couple of water bags I found on line as well as clip art from a couple of sites. The original name and logo was "Sonora" with a coyote (I live in the Sonora desert) but the coyote looks more like an elk (as seen in the pic) and not many have heard of the Sonora desert, even folks who live in it, so I decided to go for an oasis with camel and a desert most can recognize (as seen in the pic - only with color lettering). I used Macromedia Fireworks to create the graphics and MS Visio to size and print them. I tried your MS Paint method of "spraying" the bags to age them, but I didn't like the results and they didn't look as good as the effect you got with your labels. So, instead, I washed out the colors in Fireworks to give the text and graphics an aged effect. The bags in the photo are not the ones that have been aged - I'll post those later with the rest of the gear.

The water bags are based on two versions of bags I found on line (JC Higgins, a brand sold through Sears up until the 60s, and a water bag off Ebay under the mark "Congo" which interestingly used a palm tree for the logo. I doubt there are many palms in the Congo, but I could be wrong) and are scale with the original size being 17.5 X 19 inches.

Making the technician's gear for the wagon is turning out to be a real challenge and a lot of fun at the same time. I'll post pics as I go. To date I have the climbing belt redone, climbing gear bags, a newspaper and details from antique catalogs for cable reels, lunch pails, gaffs, and assorted and sundry "stuff" used by these guys.

You asked previously about source material. Besides surfing for 100 year old technology and talking with an historical society, I spent time on a telephone construction crew years ago. I guess one could call this "primary source" data. If you look at the picture, not only can one spot the boss fellow from 100 years distance, one who has been there can see the equipment and tools haven't changed much in that time either.

With apologies for the long post. More to come.

PK