Go Back   The Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicle Forum > General Categorys > Progression of a model
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Progression of a model This section was very popular in the previous forum and lots of very interesting posts soon built up in it. Please open this post and read more……~~ jraah ~~

Old 6th February 2010, 09:54 AM
Super Champion Poster

Default Hansom Cab

Ever had one of those projects or models that fights you all the way?, well this is one of those. I started it some time ago and had to knock it apart and modify it 3 or 4 times, it's proving to be a real b......r! BUT I WILL TAME IT.
The plans are by JT and leave a lot to be desired, none of the drawings are 'in sync' with the others, sizes are different and are not symetrical, nor is the framework described or shown. But thanks to a couple of photos in 'Making Model Carriages', the general idea can be worked out. It is surprisingly a very complicated thing to make, especially when you go into the minute details, but I'll have a go.
So the following pics are of the framework so far, and as you can see there are angles on angles, and curves on curves, it must have been a pig to make.

So far so good.

Paul.
Old 6th February 2010, 01:27 PM
Super Champion Poster

Very nice. Looks like a pain to build, the hard part surely has to be done now. It appears you used many different types of wood.
Old 6th February 2010, 04:39 PM
Super Champion Poster

Paul,

Good to see you posting again. Good looking job. Looking forward to seeing you metal working on this one especially the opening mechanism. I have planned on building one of those for years but have been intimidated by the door closing mechanism. Also I have not had the opportunity to see on up close and personal since I was at the Museums of Stoney Brook, New York in 1985. Didn't have time then to measure it. It seems to me that building and fitting the doors is a big challenge yet to come. Looking forward to seeing the build.

What is the wood (timber over there) you are using?

Jack of all trades, master of none
Fall down nine times, get up ten.
http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/185

Last edited by Bill Hudson; 6th February 2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 6th February 2010, 05:38 PM
Super Champion Poster

Yup, it's a pain.
The types of wood I've used is varied, for the actual framework it's pine, the flooring spruce/pine, 1/32 ply for the panelling and ash for the fascia, also some American oak. It's all stuff that I have already and considering that a lot of it will be covered by panelling, it doesn't matter that much. I haven't done the roof beams yet as access to the model will be needed for some time.
These plans do not have the drivers mechanism for opening the doors unfortunately (or fortunately you could say), they were manual, but does have driver operated front windows and the side windows also drop down a fraction on leather thongs, also roller blinds. Wheels will be an impressive 7" diam. with steel tyres.
I am trying to get drawings of the mechanical door opening from a source here, but we all know what that's like don't we?
The Hansom these plans were drawn from was made in 1870 by Forder and is in the Dodington Carriage Museum, wherever that is. I expect John will know.

Paul.

Last edited by PFW; 6th February 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 6th February 2010, 10:49 PM
Super Champion Poster

Here are some pictures that may help although the hinges are a bit dark. I have this vehicle on video and will check to see if I have a good view of the hinges for you. HTH

Old 7th February 2010, 08:38 AM
Champion Poster

I have had the same problem with my butcher's shop. Three steps forward , two steps backwards all along. The air is blue at times in the workshop.

Looks as if it will be a great model.

Unfortunately some of JT's plans are inaccurate.

I think Ced Lewis from the Guild of Model Wheelwrights is building the same. He works part time as a wheelwright at Hartlebury Castle Museum near Kidderminster.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:50 AM
Super Champion Poster

Thanks for the photos Chuck but it's a totally different animal. There seems to be as many versions of the Hansom Cab as there are 'liquorice allsorts' (I don't even know if you get these in America!).
It does look like an interesting vehicle though.
Thinking about it there is a photo in one of the 'Reading Auctions' of an Alington Cab which is ANOTHER version of the Hansom, only round fronted.
The metalwork is going to take some time, there is a lot of it but I am quite looking forward to it (at the moment).... wait 'till I start I may change my mind!
The doors are going to be a challenge to hang I can feel it in my waters! Made some hinges already as a practice and will post some pics about it.
These side windows are going to be a challenge too because there is not enough space really for flat panes so I may have to make curved ones...more to think about.
Simmy, it's nice to know that others have the same problems! Still it's all good clean fun......

Paul.
Old 13th February 2010, 09:54 AM
Super Champion Poster

During a lull in the frame making process, I decided to have a practice at hinge making using some stock that had survived earlier models (we all have these box of scraps don't we?).
Firstly I bent a piece of brass at right angles in pliers then around a steel nail (first pic). Using a small pair of mole grips, completed the curve around the pin (2nd pic).

Then using a disc cutter sliced the extra off, put in the brass pin which would be the hinge pin and closed it up using pliers. Then with a jewellers saw cut the appropriate slots (sorry about the blurred pic).

Dressed it with needle files, put the pin in and just filed the end of the pin flat (it leaves a small ridge to stop it coming out) but then again the hinge will always be pointing down so the pin will not drop out. The small window hinges (in my palm) go inside right at the top for the front panes and won't be seen anyway.

I will remake the long hinges as they will be for the doors and need to be a bit tidier.

Although the small ones will be painted I just dunked them in a blacking solution to see the effect.

Paul.
Old 13th February 2010, 01:38 PM
Champion Poster

Excellent work Paul.
Old 13th February 2010, 01:50 PM
Champion Poster

Smile Hinges

Paul

Great job on the hinges, what size brass did you use, also what about the other end of the hinge pin?. Myself I try to squeeze the other end to keep it from coming out. It doesn't always work though. Have a good day Paul.
Oh yes, have you any knowledge of a magzine called the hobbies. I was on the internet the other day, ebay UK and they had one that had already been sold it contain plans for a irish jaunting cart. The magazine was pub. 15 jun 1960, vol 130 no.3366. If you run across one I would like to purchase it.

Thanks
Papajo